Monday, January 4, 2010

First work in new studio

Hope everyone had a joyful Christmas break and a Happy new year. Thanks to all the bloggers for returning to read this blog and I hope you all have had a good restful break over the holidays.

I started today with an outdoor Cardio session with a group of people and a trainer and knew that I need to get fit again.
They ask you to sign up for three months, so I will need to get into the swing of exercising again as I have been very slack of late.
I have been looking at all the snow pictures especially around Twente region in Holland, and here we are in the 30c over here.
I had a request to make a body cast several days ago so this event christened the studio.
After a false start with alginate that was out of date and set within a minute of mixing the kilo batch, we restarted the process with plaster bandages, and was glad I had a helper to cut extra bandages for me.
It took a bit longer than using alginate, but I learnt a few things along the way. The pose was in an s curve with arms raised so the pose was uncomfortable for my friend to hold and the day was also very hot about 39c, which didn't help.
I cast the body mould in plaster and spent the rest of the day cleaning, patching small bubbles and making it ready for my friend to see it later that evening and were very happy with the results.
I will wait for it to dry out and then patina it ready for mounting.
We will at some stage do more but will use fresh alginate as it is not so hard on the model.

No comments: